EmberShane

Sleeping Giants
Sylvain Neuvel
The BFG
Roald Dahl, Quentin Blake
Miss Mabel's School for Girls (Network Series, #1)
Katie Cross

A Dark and Winding Road by Matthew Weber

A Dark and Winding Road - Matthew Weber

*Horror; Short Story Collection*

Nicely done. Very talented writing. Fast-paced with some twists. Probably not something you want to read if you're at home by yourself in the middle of the night. I might have gasped a time or two while gripping the edges of my Kindle.

I appreciated the disclaimer/warning at the beginning. Included were warnings that the following stories contained "death, graphic violence, profanity, blasphemy, sexual content, and other themes and images that commonly disturb". This statement should also probably include these themes as also related to children.

Of the eleven stories, my favorites include The Clinic, My Own Personal Monster, and The Hitch.

The Clinic, while definitely fitting into the horror genre, also flirts with crossing over into the psychological thriller genre. The MC is basically an evil child who is coming into adulthood and his parents are at a loss as to what to do with him. They've run out of options. I would have loved this story to have been longer. If Weber ever rewrites this as a full-length novel, I'm definitely all in.

My Own Personal Monster... because no horror collection is complete without a sasquatch story. Not only the subject matter, and the engaging writing, but I also very much enjoyed the ending. I really thought it was going to go another way.

The Hitch is about a hitchhiker who seems to be having some problems. I can't say too much without giving away the spoiler, but I can say I appreciated Weber's craftmanship of the story/narration.

My least favorite of the eleven stories was Bobby's Holiday Wish List. It was well-written. In fact, it was even one of the stories that made me audibly gasp. It's only my least favorite due to the subject matter being a little too dark for my taste.

I also feel compelled to mention that the editing on this book was impeccable. Props to the editor. And cover designer.

Five stars!!