EmberShane

Sleeping Giants
Sylvain Neuvel
The BFG
Roald Dahl, Quentin Blake
Miss Mabel's School for Girls (Network Series, #1)
Katie Cross

Revenge of the Sea by Jesse Giles Christiansen

Revenge of the Sea - Jesse Giles Christiansen

Revenge of the Sea is the third novel in the The Captain Shelby Trilogy. It could also be read as a stand-alone novel, but I would recommend reading them in order so that you can understand the importance of Captain Shelby's character in this novel.

In this installment of the series, we see Pelican Bay break out in what turns out to be a global (presumably) viral epidemic originating from the sea. It falls to Ethan Hodges and "not-estranged" wife, Morgan-as long as he can convince her to help him-to solve the mystery of the outbreak. The appearance of an unusual stranger, a Mr. DM, would seem the place to start searching for clues.

As always, I love Christiansen's style of writing. His prose is suspenseful and full of near-poetic verse. I loved the plot line of the sea virus and the whole Mr. DM character. I will say that the budding romance in the beginning of the novel between Ethan and Reagan made me angry. Even though Morgan had ignored him for years, even though she couldn't even tell him she loved him, even though they were clearly headed for a divorce... it just hurt my heart. As the story continued, I was able to forgive Ethan, but it took a couple of days. I adored the ending. I knew something was up, but I didn't know to what extent, and I loved how it played out. I'm eagerly anticipating Christiansen's next novel. I can't wait to see more of Ethan's story. Five stars!