EmberShane

Sleeping Giants
Sylvain Neuvel
The BFG
Roald Dahl, Quentin Blake
Miss Mabel's School for Girls (Network Series, #1)
Katie Cross

Pride and Prejudice and Zombies by Seth Grahame-Smith

Pride and Prejudice and Zombies - Seth Grahame-Smith

I don't usually post any sort of update for books I ultimately decide not to review or rate, but I had to at least say a couple of things about this book.  I read Grahame-Smith's Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter a while back, and enjoyed it.  It had a realistically spooky factor.  And then I learned about Pride and Prejudice and Zombies.  An author I'd previously read and enjoyed, the time period, Jane Austen, zombies... I mean, everything lined up in this book's favor.  It's been on my TBR list for a while.  But when I saw the trailer for the upcoming movie,  Movie Trailer Link Here, I immediately downloaded the audio book.  At first, I thought maybe this was the difference between the two books for me.  I'd read the paperback of the first book and I got zero comedy coming from the story.  The light-hearted British accent of the narrator on this second book set a completely different tone.  But as the story continued, I saw that it was a running theme.  I've included a random example:

**Darcy proposes**

"I have never desired your good opinion and you have certainly bestowed it most unwillingly. I'm sorry to have occasioned you pain, but only sorry because it has been most unconsciously done. Before you walked through that door, I had resolved to strike you down, sir! My honor-Nay! The honor of my family demands no less a satisfaction!" Elizabeth presently lifted her dress above her ankles and struck a basic crane pose... which she thought well-suited for the cramped quarters.

This type of humor runs throughout the book.  It just wasn't the style I was expecting.  And when the narrator began to voice a certain character who is in the slow process of turning into a zombie, it sounded a whole lot like Dory's whale voice in Finding Nemo.  At that point, I had to admit that this story wasn't for me.  However, if you are a fan of comical parodies and spoofs of Austen, then this might be for you.  I do still plan on seeing the movie as it's advertised as having a more serious tone.