EmberShane

Sleeping Giants
Sylvain Neuvel
The BFG
Roald Dahl, Quentin Blake
Miss Mabel's School for Girls (Network Series, #1)
Katie Cross

Famine: Book One of The Apocalyptics

Famine: Book One of The Apocalyptics - Monica Enderle Pierce From the Edwardian era setting to the antihero Bartholomew's decision not to condemn a child, I was reeled in quickly with this novel. I found the style in which the author wrote to be fluid and almost soothing to read. Descriptions were rich and decadent.

While I do enjoy a good fantasy story line, my favorite aspect to this novel was the character development/relationship building between Bartholomew and Matilde. The novel was spread out over Matilde's eighth year to her sixteenth, and I feel the author did a remarkable job growing Matilde's and Bartholomew's relationship until there was eventually mutual trust between the two. It was years of two steps forward, one step back, and I could sympathize for each character's struggle in finding their place within the relationship.

I'm looking forward to the next installment in The Apocalyptics series. I'm curious to see Matilde's blossom into adulthood and how the dynamic between her and Bartholomew progresses. And, of course, I'm looking forward to how they next thwart Famine's master plan for world destruction. 4.5 stars!!